Tuesday, November 2, 2010

tiny miracles

My Brother had to write a paper about someone who has gone through a trial in their life.  He asked me if I would write down Parker's and Kasidee's story and some of the thoughts that I had.  This could have been 20 pages long...but this is what I wrote for him.  I have never sat down and written the whole thing out before.  I wanted to save it.  So if you don't want to read this really long post you don't have to. 

Thinking back now, it feels like a dream. Like showing up at the hospital with a couple concerns, and then being rushed to another specialized hospital in an ambulance didn’t really happen to me. Did a doctor walk into my hospital room and ask me, while I was in labor, whether I wanted to keep my babies or not? Should they try to save them?


But it did, it happened. And I can’t help but feel extremely blessed to have Parker and Kasidee in my life!

Let’s start at the beginning. On Wed. May 28, 2003 I had been packing boxes all day. My husband, Markley, had just graduated with his Masters from USU, and we were moving away from the college life. We were excited to be starting our family with twins on the way and a new job…everything was just about perfect.

I started having these pains that night. They progressively got worse. But I was a first time mom; I had no idea that these were contractions. Besides, I was only 23 weeks along; they couldn’t be labor contractions yet! Well, I continued to have them through the night, plus I started leaking fluid. I wasn’t too concerned yet, but I called my doctor anyway the next morning at about 6. He said to come in to the hospital, just to be safe and get checked out.

Walking into the hospital actually made me a little excited. I get to come back here and have two little babies in a couple months! We had been trying for a year to get pregnant; we wanted these babies so bad!

I got a gown on, got settled in a room, and they ran some tests and did an ultrasound. But then all the excitement turned into fear as doctors and nurses literally ran into my room and started giving me shots (steroids for the babies’ lungs) and prepping me for an ambulance ride to a better hospital.

What was going on? Was this my fault? Had I lifted too many boxes? Had I done something wrong? We didn’t even have names picked out! Our nursery wasn’t ready! We were going to be moving tomorrow! They didn’t write about this in What to Expect When You’re Expecting!

I was very blessed to have a Bishop, who was the hospital administrator at the time. He came and helped Mark give me a blessing, one of hope and peace. I kept singing primary songs in my head, “Heavenly Father, are you really there?” The Spirit was a close companion through the whole scary day.

They wouldn’t let Mark ride with me in the ambulance. He had to follow in the car. They told him they were going to have the lights going, but no siren. Just follow close behind and we would be there in no time. As we got closer to the hospital we hit some construction. They switched on the sirens to help us get to hospital faster, poor Mark, he thought something had gone wrong. He was helpless in the car behind the ambulance. What was happening to his whole family?

Being wheeled down the hospital halls on a bed was not something I ever want to do again! My mom is a nurse; I have been in doctors’ offices and hospitals my whole life. But I am always the one walking down the hall, watching the person being wheeled in a bed, wondering what was wrong.

Now I was in the bed, wondering what was wrong. It was scary. I felt very alone! More primary songs, “Do you hear and answer every child’s prayer?” Much better.

I got settled in a room again, and I was hooked up to every monitor possible. I didn’t know that so many wires could be hooked up to one person. Mark finally got there, much to his relief and mine. We sad holding on to each other’s hands like life-lines, while doctors kept coming in telling us all the things that could go wrong with babies that were born at 23 weeks. Neurological problems like retinopathy of prematurity, cerebral palsy, intraventricular hemorrhages…What does any of that even mean? That sounds really serious...Cardiovascular complications may arise like patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)…What did PDA stand for? Squeeze Mark’s hand harder…Respiratory problems…The list kept going and going!

What were we suppose to do? 22 week babies are considered a miscarriage, 24 week babies they do everything they can to save them, 23 weeks is a grey area. We were supposed to decide what to do. I am only 20 years old!!! How am I supposed to make a decision like this! More primary songs, “Some say that Heaven is far away, but I feel it close around me as I pray.”

Then things kind of worked out on there own. My water broke while I was in the bathroom. “Um, Mark, I think my water just broke, can you get a nurse?” According to Mark (who thought that once your water broke, the babies immediately followed), there wasn’t a person in sight. We had been surrounded by doctors and nurses all day, and then when we need someone, they all disappear. Mark went running up and down the hall yelling for someone, anyone who could help. Nurses came in, checked me, I was dilated to a 10, everything went crazy again. They literally ran my bed, with me on it, to the surgical room. Mark was rushed to scrub up, and I felt all alone again as they gathered doctors. More primary songs, “Suffer the children to come to me. Father in prayer I’m coming now to thee.”

Parker and Kasidee were born on May 29, 2003. Parker weighed 1 lb. 6 oz. and Kasidee weighed 1 lb. 2 oz. They both cried when they were born, which was the first miracle of many to come. They are now 7 years old. If you saw them, you would never know all that they have overcome to get to where they are right now. No one would know that they had more blood transfusions than I can remember, 4 surgeries between the two of them, a very scary night that Kasidee wasn’t expected to make it through, but she did. They both are miracles. Heavenly Father blessed our family!

Remembering back has brought back a couple tears, but mostly it has helped me remember how much my Heavenly Father knows and loves me.

 Parker Allan
Kasidee Taylor

13 comments:

Amy said...

What a sweet post! I remember Peggy telling us about this experience and thinking "Poor Angie. That is crazy!"

heidi_eatschuno said...

Thank you for sharing such a personal story, I had no idea that this had occured. What beautiful children they are and what love our Heavenly Father has for each of us.

Michelle said...

Now I am crying too:). That was wonderful. I hope you write the rest of the story down for your kids and posterity too. I definitely felt Heavenly Father's love for you and Mark then and felt our family grow closer because of your trial. Thanks for sharing. You have been so blessed.

Alison said...

I loved reading their story knowing that it had a happy ending and learning more of the details. I have told a lot of people about you and your miracle babies. I am grateful that I got to be a part of their lives even if it was only for a little while. Thank you for hiring me! I learned a lot from taking care of them and also learned a lot from observing you and Markley (is that weird? lol). I always felt so comfortable in your home and could always feel the spirit. Especially compared to the other family I nannied for that had a big house up on the hill. Even though I loved their kids too I would have much rather spent my time in your cozy apartment. :)

I'm glad all is well for your family! Now if I can just find a reason for you to move back to Utah... he he he

Brooke said...

That makes me want to cry! I have heard your story so many times, but it is always amazing to me. I'm glad they made it because they are wonderful children.

Cami Eyre said...

What a miracle...I think about you and that time in your life often. Your strength through that was and is an inspiration to me! You're awesome and I'm so grateful for the happy ending to such a scary time :)

Over The Hills said...

As a first grandma and the mother of a 20 year old just having your first experience of becoming a mother yourself my thoughts were full of " How do you teach a child to weather such an experience?" "Have I taught her the tools that will help her through?" I was so proud to find out that Heavenly Father blessed you with an inner strength and a strong faith. And a loving husband with the same qualities. You both are miricles too. Parker and Kas will always have a special spot in my heart!! Grandma G.

clgilbert said...

I'm balling right now and I have heard that story a number of times... Brian was originally writing about the differences from my city life to his small town life and then he was at our house and he said that he had gotten the assignment a little wrong and needed to write about someone overcoming an obstacle... and he asked what were some things I had overcome... and all of my experiences seemed so minute to yours, so I said "Write about Angie!!". I am so glad he did. That is an amazing story. We love you P and K and I think that everyone that reads this can't help but look at their own lives and see Heavenly Fathers hand in it. We all need to count our blessings! Thanks for sharing! We love you!

Tara said...

Randy's told me about your miracle a few times. I knew it must have been such a difficult time, but I'm glad you wrote it so I could see it all from a mothers point of view. It made me cry- I love that you sang primary songs in your head. It is what I would have done. I'm so happy that everything turned out all right! They are beautiful!

Karen said...

Miracles...many many miracles! So many prayers and so much faith for four amazing people.Two big and two very tiny ones. You have an amazing mission. Heavenly Father knew who to call on for this special job! You are raising HIS little ones who are suppose to be here for a reason! I was so proud of the new mommy then and the strength of a well oiled mother now! I am so glad to be a little part of you and your kiddos lives! And yes you too Mark!I love you all!Love Aunt Karen

Lelani said...

oh Angie, this brought me to tears. I had 3 premies but none as early as yours and it's so scary .... I'm with Alison, it's good to read this now knowing that they're okay!

workerbee said...

Your story is one that definately shows the hand of Heavenly Father in it. A friend of mine, her daughter just delivered identical twins at 30 weeks. She was terrified. Sadly one twin pasted through the veil before being delivered. The other twin has his struggles but is making great strides. I have shared a little of your story with my friend in the hopes that it would give them hope! Thank you for sharing your sweet story!

The Marchant's said...

HOLY CRAP! That was a horrible day! And yet you're right. Two little miracles! And throughout that day, you knew it was going to be alright. You are such an inspiration to me! I love your guts and your cute little babies guts too!